Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Sunshine

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey.....
 Good morning Bright Eyes!!  Every morning you greet me with a big cheek-to-cheek toothy grin, giggling with the excitement of us starting a new day together. Your smile brightens up my dark dreary days and sleepless, restless nights. You are so happy and so beautiful. What did I do to ever deserve you? God gave a present to me when he gave me you. In spite of the rain and dark, cloudy skies, your smile brightens up my life and flows through me like a beam of renewal and light.

You’ll never know dear, how much I love you......I once read that being a mother is like living with your heart outside of your chest. I didn’t really understand it until I had you. I remember when you were born, one of the first things I did was marvel at your beauty, and say how protective I felt of you. Call it maternal instinct, but when I first saw your face, I knew that my life was forever changed. The world can be an ugly place sometimes, and if I can absorb at least a little of the nastiness for you, just to spare you even a little pain, then I will have done my job as your mother. I would do anything for you. I will sacrifice my happiness and personal desires for you, just to ensure you are safe and happy. I would gladly die for you, without a second thought.

Please don’t take my sunshine away.At some point in your life, you will move out and start your own life without me. I will be sad, but I know that you have to have your own life. I will have to step back, but I have confidence in everything you do, and everything you will do. I can already tell that you are gifted and brilliant!!! You will let your light shine. I think back to the drama of my pregnancy and the trauma of your birth. You not only survived, you thrived! You are Nylah! Your name means "champion". That is exactly what you are - a champion!!!! You are a fighter, and will make it, regardless of any obstacles that may come your way. (You come from good stock, on both sides of the family).

In the meantime, I will treasure every minute we have together. Please be patient with me, just like you, I’m learning as I go. I will make mistakes as your mother. And you will make mistakes as you grow up. But I promise to do my best, and to give the best of what I have to you. I just pray that it’s enough.

I love you!