Saturday, December 18, 2010

"S" on My Chest

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERWOMAN!!!! 

Crazy days are among us!  I have been so busy lately, I'm convinced that the only reason I haven't lost my mind (or my temper for that matter) is because I have super powers that I've never tapped into...

Today I woke up at 4am to a crying baby.  I got up, fed her and put her back to sleep.  I then got up again at about 8am fed her again.  After feeding her I washed all the dishes - we don't have an automatic dishwasher, I AM THE DISHWASHER.  Then I dried them, put them away, wiped down the counter and swept the floor.  My daughter is in the phase where she thinks it's fun to throw all leftover food on the floor when she's not hungry anymore, so the floor can get pretty gross.  So I decided to go ahead and mop the floor - now was as good a time as any. 

Uh oh....  Someone did a poopie!!!!  Time for a diaper change.  She's also decided it's fun to put her hand on her butt when it's changing time!!!  Gross!!!  But it's up to Superwoman to make sure her child has a clean bum and hands and face etc - she must press on.

I figure since the kitchen in pretty clean, maybe I'll do a little more housework.  I love a clean house, which has been a pretty rare occurance lately.  I vacuum the living room and bedrooms, scrub the bathtub, dust and dump the garbage, all with the baby chomping at my feet.  I think  might have stepped on her once or twice, by accident of course. 

At this point I'm working up a small sweat and realize it's time for the baby's lunch and nap (hopefully), and my 12th cup of coffee and a chance to take a shower and kick my feet up for a minute.  NOT!!!!!!!  After lunch, there is no napping!!!!!  Nap-free days are especially long because she gets REALLY CRANKY!!!!  It's pouring down rain outside, so we stay in and play with blocks and stuffed animals, and she goes through all of the lower cabinets in the kitchen and proceeds to pull out all of the pots and pans and lids.  I put them back when she moves on to something else to "play" with.

It's the afternoon now, and I think maybe I should get started on dinner.  I really enjoy cooking, and lately I've found particular joy in having something yummy cooking in the oven just in time for when my husband gets home.  I've been getting in touch with my inner June Cleaver or something, although I'm not sure how or when that happened.  Unfortunately there isn't much food in the house, so I decide to go grocery shopping. 

Purse?  Check.
Keys?   Check.
Baby?  Check.
Sweatpants?  Of course!!!!

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!  At the store, my daughter decides to have a meltdown. She's totally exhausted and whining and throwing her head back.  She's trying to climb out of the cart to reach the cereal boxes and pretty much anything within arm's reach.  I keep my cool, finish my shopping (quickly) and get out of there!!!

We get home, she's balling and won't eat or drink anything.  I put her in her high chair and decide that we are going to have a cooking class.  She loves to watch me cook!  It's pretty sweet.  Before I know it she's calmed down, drinking out of her sippy cup and peacefully watching me chop and season the food.  I GOT SKILLZ!!!!

My husband gets home from work.  He walks in, hugs and plays with the baby for a minute. He sits down on the couch, turns on the game (football, basketball - whatever), and picks up the baby's toothbrush that was sitting on the couch. She has a habit of picking things up and putting them in various locations.  I didn't even know it was there.  He says to me, "What is this doing here?  Is it "clean"?"  (Yes, he used the rabbit ears to ephasize the word clean).  He had made a comment recently about how when I clean, I don't really clean, I just kind of wipe the dirt around or something.

Ackward silence.

I had to muster up all of my super powers not to fry out his eyeballs with my x-ray vision!!!!!!!!   Deep breath, let it go.  Super heroes don't concern themselves with thoughtless comments of mere mortals. 

We all ate dinner.  The baby threw half of hers on the floor.  I put her to bed, and my husband retreated to the basement (aka The Man Cave) to unwind and watch more sports.  What's that I hear???  Oh, it's SILENCE!!!!  Mission Accomplished.

Now it's time for me to hang up my cape and relax.

Scalding hot water?  Check
Aromatherapy bubble bath?  Check
Scented Candles?  Check
Obscenely tall glass of cheap red wine?  Come to mama!! Oops, I mean "Check"!! 

Aahhhh, relaxation......  Until tomorrow, we when do it all over again!