Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Shoutout to All the Single Moms!

I have to give big props to all the ladies out there trying to raise one, or more (gasp!), little children into productive members of society, on their own (even if they ARE married - yeah, I went there). All while still trying to maintain their sense of self, and pay all the bills, and do the housework, and cook, and help with the homework, and, and, and, AND - the list never stops!!!! 

While I am NOT a single mother, I have been pretty much doing everything by myself when it comes to taking care of my daughter.  Day and night.  And boy, those nights can get to be pretty long.  Last night was especially long because she got up at 2am and 4am, and when she finally went back to sleep, I was wide awake.  The middle of the night is when I do most of my thinking.  It's like my mind is running a constant commentary that has no off switch.  I am completely at my brain's mercy during these times. 

I got to thinking about lucky I am to have such a beautiful little girl (seriously, she's so yummy that I would eat her with a spoon if I could!), but I was also thinking about how HARD it is to tend to her every need all day long.  I'm not going to lie, I sometimes looked at going to work as a break from motherhood, and it was NICE!!!  But now that I'm not working, it's all on me, ALL the time!!! 

My husband goes to work before we wake up, and by the time he gets home, she's eating dinner and the bedtime routine is already underway.  So, he only sees her like an hour or two a day!  That's all folks!  I feel a little resentful sometimes, but that could just be my exhaustion getting the best of me.  It could be worse I guess.....  We BOTH could be unemployed and our little family could be homeless on the streets.  I feel guilty for even complaining, but I wonder if this is how a lot of single moms feel.  Maybe it's how all stay-at-home moms feel, and I'm just still new to the game.  When I figure it out, I'll let you know........